Saturday, May 19, 2007

Here I go Again!

So, its been a few days, and I have some time to devote to this.

ST #3: This one consists of things I have signed up for that I don't use any longer. Recently, I have divested myself of having to pay for:
  • A second Verizon land line, which we originally got for a few reasons. First, when Colleen and I first moved in together, we wanted that separation for business. We also had dial-up service from our ISP. When we bought the house, we still had that dial-up, the second line was dedicated to just that. The problem is we haven't had dial-up for almost 3 years! So I have been paying some undisclosed amount to keep something that doesn't even have a phone jack on it.
  • Also through Verizon, I switched to a cheaper "Family Plan" that does not include $30 extra to be able to call Canada and Mexico (?) for less.
  • There have been various web sites that I have joined over time that I no longer utilize, which just keep charging a fee that I keep paying without realizing. This brings us to another problem that I have addressed . . .
  • Not checking all the charges on my credit cards. Look at them and be absolutely certain that you can account for all of them. I had a charge this month for a site I no longer use. Their 800 number was on the bill, and within half an hour, I had the charges rescinded and the membership canceled. A quick visit to the site confirmed it all.
  • New cell phone contracts! Mine was about to run out, and I did some research. The plan I was on (and would have automatically rolled over if I hadn't looked) had fewer minutes for the same cost as a new option. So, for the same money, I have more service and fewer headaches!
WooHoo!

What I am discovering is this:

HAGGLE.

Whether it is with yourself or with a vendor, ask questions and make demands. I have to convince myself that it is okay to try to get a better price on services. But I have, and I do.

I have been getting a HUGE mess out of the backyard. Initially, my plan was to do it myself. After 4 years of not enough getting done, I rented a dumpster from the City of Jersey City. With the help of some guys I met, about 1/3 of the job got done.

I called a company that cleans up messes of most any kind. They have been here on four occasions in the last few weeks. In that time, I have saved almost 15% of the cost, just because I asked if it could be cheaper.

I asked! Nothing more.

Same thing with the Verizon DSL issues I was having. I kept asking to talk to another representative, until the problem was solved. It took over 3 hours on the phone, but it is done. It wasn't my computer. It wasn't my TiVos. It wasn't divine intervention.

It was their modem. Just like I said it was to the first rep in the first 5 minutes of the call.

It is possible to be in charge of your life. Just decide to be, and find a way to make it happen.

No comments: